07 July 2006

the trouble with love



Love, sometimes it can bite you on the ass. A little nibble can be nice but leave teeth marks and it’s no good. This is the summer of love it seems. In fact I just went to Woodstock for the first time last week. I have so many friends getting married right now. This bowl is a wedding gift that I made for my friend and her new husband. The design was inspired by their wedding invitation. Beautiful birds on pink paper, chocolate brown envelopes tied with a blood red ribbon. I just finished another wedding bowl for a friend whose best friend just got married. Two other friends of mine are marring each other and I need to make them a little something too. I am having a problem with love. The problem is that I love this bowl that I made and now I don’t want to send it. It does not happen to me often, loving my work. I usually don't get attatched and joyfully send it off knowing it will make someone happy and there will be more to come. Then again love does not happen that often. My dad had this saying comparing love to birds, something about letting them go and if they come back they are yours…you know what I am getting at but sometimes you just don't want to let it go.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this bowl. If it were mine, I couldn't give it up.

Anonymous said...

Lucky, lucky friends! There's no doubt that your friends will LOVE the bowl. If I was your friend, I'd cry upon opening the wrapping paper! Really! It's so amazing! But I know what you mean when it comes to giving away artwork, especially if it's a piece that's close to your heart.

paula said...

I love the bowl and I love to love.
Have a great day.
paula

Anonymous said...

i love the black inside.

Anonymous said...

When I look at this bowl, I see that your love is in it, and also you must let it go. I think when you hold love in it goes bad, and goes a little rotten like an overripe fruit. Love must be given away or it has no value. An even better bowl will emerge from the beauty that is in there, inside your head, because that's where the beauty is, in your head, somewhere behind your eyes, connected to your heart. This couple will be blessed to have this bowl.

Mary Anne Davis said...

Lovely bowl, lovely description of the friends, their possible future together. They will no doubt cherish it and it will inspire their new bond. Friends who love friends deeply, as you do these two, are lucky indeed.

Jeffrey R. Guin said...

Beautiful bowls. How do you create the fine detail in the leaves.

Jeffrey R. Guin said...

Beautiful bowls. I would love to learn your methods of decoration. Are the leaves painted with underglaze? Are they etched? Lovely work.