09 December 2006

I have to confess...

that I did not send out invitations to people on my mailing list for my sale. Guess what happened? Very few people came to my sale. It is my own fault and oddly enough I am not that upset, mostly right now I am just exhausted.

Which leads me to this; Some truths about doing it all yourself ,the pitfalls and life's other distractions.

1. What do you do when you get tired, so tired that you are unable to make decisions? There is no one there who will do it for you or to help push you over that finish line. This is my greatest struggle. That extra charge that is needed at the end of a project. I become spent from the work, the creative process, the plain old labor of lifting bags of clay, loading kilns, mixing five gallon buckets of slip, casting, making, drawing, emailing, keeping up, fallowing up, loading up, packing, keeping people happy, keeping up with the Christmas madness. I barely celebrate Christmas anymore because by the time it gets here I really could care less. It's too much people. I think today was the first day in two weeks I sat down to eat. No kidding.

2. What happens when things come up that stop you in your tracks and must be paid attention to? When a tragedy hits your community and your livelihood relies on being a capitalist but the reality of making and selling poses such contrast to what is happening that it takes something out of you, that oomph, your heart. Now I know the answer to that, and I can hear you all saying "oh, but you have to keep going..." and I really do know this, but sometimes life just knocks you upside the head. We can't plan for these things and sometimes they happen the week before your sale. That's just the way it is.

3. Then as all of these things are happening, you unload your kiln only to find that your glaze has crawled and some of your pieces have that old problem of peeling that you struggled with a year and a half ago. You thought you had finally finished your orders, but no, you have to remake the pieces, work that takes you two to three weeks to complete, you have to write people and explain the problem, that you won't be able to send the complete order and then you have to start all over again. It's enough to drive anyone to madness.

4. Luckily there are always remedies and solutions to all of these dilemmas. Really I am very fortunate and I do recognize this. I guess I am frustrated for getting so tired and overwhelmed that getting a simple email out to 500 people seemed like an enormous task. I can fix that though. Guess what, I am going have another sale this week! I am going send out invitations to people to come by on Wednesday night. Though this time I'm gonna spike the cider...

Cheers! To Solutions! To loved ones! To loving and being loved and to doing the best we can!

12 comments:

Unknown said...

I just want to say that I love your ceramics. I wish I'd live closer so I could visit your sales, but unfortunatly I live all the way on the East coast. Great idea to have another sale! Take care, Shin

paula said...

In the end it is just that... "doing the best you can" and feel happy because you actually can.

Anonymous said...

will you be putting some of the objects you prepared for sale on your website? i know your blof admirers (i.e. me!!!) would love to buy some of your things, even if we can't visit you in person...

Anonymous said...

I would be VERY INTERESTED in some of your pieces too!!! I bought 4 this year from Artstream, and would love to add to my collection! I live N. of SF, do you ever have private showings???? I'd love the pine-cone plate if its still available....
Ulla

futuregirl said...

We all get stressed and overwhelmed and tired and unfocused. The only thing you can do is choose how you deal with it.

It's inspiring that you have stepped back from your frustration and decided to regroup with a positive attitude.

I appreciate you telling us about this, too. Sometimes it's easy to see someone and their amazing work and think that everything comes easily for them. I'll remember this post next time I start getting overwhelmed and frustrated. :)

Tiffany said...

I wish you luck with your sale and some much needed rest!

Tiffany*

Kerstin Svendsen said...

i hope i can make it before or after my classes!

diana fayt said...

Thank you everyone for your kind and encouraging comments!

Risa and Ulla I will try and post some things for sale on the blog after the sale.

Ulla I do have "private" showings. I tried to email you but do not have your email address???

Shin I wish you lived closer too! The sale is Wednesday night...maybe you could fly out ;)he he.

Thanks Future Girl. I think it is good to be honest and I do hope it will help others to know the ups and downs of it all. I finally got some rest and am feeling tip top again, whew!

Thanks Listoria! I am looking forward to the second sale now that I am rested.

lisa solomon said...

hello sweet diana...

i SO am there with you.... unfortunately i can't make it this week, but i'd love to set up a time to see you.... and see your goodies....

hang in.... know that we understand!
xo

Susan Schwake said...

we can all only do the best we can... don't feel badly, this happens to everyone!
would love to see more of your new work...
susan

jenifer lake said...

i know exactly how you feel; sometimes taking a step back and truly allowing yourself the rest & mellow time needed is the best recipe...but oh, how hard that is!

if this san francisco girl might be able to come by & peek at your goodies, where might she go to? :)

Anonymous said...

I tried to add my email address here... did you get it? Here it is again! Would also love something with a bird on it... Hugs.

ullam@earthlink.net