27 June 2006

the bowls are beckoning.



These days I have the pleasure of traversing from office to studio by about ten steps. I usually bounce back and forth between the office/design work and my ceramic work. I did not make it into the studio at all today. I have a table full of vases that I cast last week, wrapped in plastic, waiting for me to paint them. Then there are the bowls, all painted, waiting for me to etch away at them and the cups waiting to be glazed. Instead I went back at the “sprout” drawings and ended up with not a sprout but a dandelion. Actually I did get a sprout in there. A very sophisticated sprout not crooked and awkward like a sprout should be. I went for a run and was so sidetracked looking for sprout inspiration that I kept stopping and then would get distracted by, oh look at those pretty cows, their eyes are so beautiful, the cows actually trotted along side of me for a while, thought that was pretty cool and oh my there is a whole bunch of Japanese anemones growing back there, and look a humming bird, a chipmunk and turtle all in the road at the same time. Yikes! Then there is this blog. All the things I want to write about and all the great responses I have been getting. Needless to say I wasn’t very focused today but I sure did have a lot of fun looking for sprouts and hearing from all you folks. Thanks!

5 comments:

paula said...

It's so easy to get distracted when we try to focus specially when there are so many beautiful things surrounding us.
Your bowls are gorgeous and the combination of colours fantastic. What do you use for those reds and oranges? Underglazes?
have a good day...
paula :)

julie said...

Diana, more beautiful work! Love the colours and etching!!!!! I cant beleive to see a hummingbird, a chipmunk and a turtle all at once!!

Anonymous said...

Yeah Diana - you go girl! So much fun to read about your thoughts and process and to see your beautiful images. I hope the show went well - I'm sure it did.

Mary Anne Davis said...

It is some times a challenge to focus, and now you've entered this wonderful communication portal, well, I relate! Uhoh, that reminds me, I have to get back to work! :)

Anonymous said...

Awwww...I like the vision of the cows running alongside you. The would've been cool! Your bowls are so beautiful. I imagine that your family and friends all beg for your pottery at birthdays and Christmas? :)